Thursday, June 17, 2010

watercolorsNmore





Friday Finds... watercolorsNmore


This is my 31st interview of the amazing not-so-well-known artists of Etsy!

Coming across Roxanne of watercolorsNmore's store last week was definitely one of my happiest handmade finds of last week! Her watercolor paintings are just exquisite! And I'm not surprised as she is an experienced painter working on her beautiful works since 1979. The thing that strikes me the most about her work is the attention to detail AND the technique she uses to achieve her individually styled water color paintings. Watercolors are not an easy medium to use, yet she makes it seem effortless as her paintings to me literally come alive on the page. I can only imagine how amazing these must look in reality over how they look on my PC screen! Besides a few originals in her store she also offers her paintings as prints, and glass tile jewelry so you're not stuck for choice what so ever :) She has become one of my favourites on Etsy, I hope you can take the time to visit her store and give her a shop heart and perhaps a purchase too :) She has an offer to my readers at the bottom of her interview so don't miss out!


(Just click the images to go direct to the listings)






-- Tell me a bit about you! (Name, Age, Location, and give us a random fact whilst you're at it.) My name is Roxanne Tobaison, I live in sunny, central Florida and married with 2 daughters and 60ish. Now you wouldn’t think I’d tell you exact, right.


-- What is your business about then? My business is watercolors and I have been painting since 1979.


-- How did Etsy come into your life? Having retired from the art festivals show after 30 years, I stumbled onto Etsy when purchasing from some of the fabulous craftsman and artisans. Why not give it a go??? What would I have to lose?? Didn’t actual realize the time involvement or the addiction!


-- Are you working a day job too? No day job for me…my art has kept me fairly busy all these years.


-- How long has the artist in you been 'unleashed' for? After the birth of my first daughter, I tried my hand at oil painting then watercolors. I was hooked and have never stopped since.


-- What has been the inspiration behind your business? I am a Florida native and the area is brimming over with natural wonders, treasures, beauty and so many historical landmarks. Did I mention…I love the history of our area, which the Tampa Bay area is extremely rich. I paint to preserve them and many are commissioned works.


-- If you could describe your products in three words, what would you tell me? Frameable, (not sure that’s a word, but you know what I mean.)
Wearable and Collectable.

-- What would an average working day for you be like from dawn til dusk? Each day is an adventure in itself. With my morning coffee, to jumpstart myself, I read the Bible and then off to Etsy, go exercise and back to etsy… Work around the house and errands, then back to etsy… You know, I actually DO paint too! Then back to etsy. I think you get the picture…my husband sure does. He calls me an etsy-acholic.



-- What's your favourite material and techniques to work with? Above all, my camera is my best friend. I take all my reference shots. My materials are watercolors, acrylics and occasionally pen and inks. Most of my works are representational and realistic; however I have enjoyed some abstracts as seen mostly in my pendants.
Recently, I added a line of glass tile pendants necklaces that showcase my original watercolor paintings. These are affordable pieces of art that can be enjoyed and worn too. I title these pieces and take pride in the little originals. Also I have started doing ACEO’s which are like baseball trading cards – artists trading cards which are collectable.


-- What is your ideal vision for the future for you and your work? The main thing is that I feel blessed to have this talent and that others like it. Of course we like to sell, but it’s therapeutic, fulfilling and great when someone likes what you do. Get rich doing it – I DON’T think so…but riches can be measured in many ways.


-- Away from work, what do you like to do for fun or to wind down? Exercise workouts are a great escape and keeps you trim – yeah, right. Well, it’s fun anyway.


-- What are you likely to search for on Etsy? I really like earrings-jewelry (bought quite a few from fellow etsians). Like to search out the artsy pottery, sculptures.
I really appreciate ALL the fabulous talent that is on the etsy site!


-- Any last words? I want to express my sincere thanks for Nay finding me and allowing me to be interviewed on her ‘Friday Finds’blog.
So nice when fellow artists want to help others.

If anyone purchases from seeing this, I’ll include a set of 2 (5 x 7) note cards of any print image on my site. Just mentioned that you saw my interview on the ‘Friday Finds’ in the reference line and tell me which (2) images.
Period 6/18 – 6/25/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment