Thursday, August 19, 2010

Naturally Dyed Products by lissyonetsy




Friday Finds... lissionetsy


Interview # 39
Lissionetsy is a fellow UK seller with a great passion for her creative flow in eco-fashion. Specifically, naturally dyed accessories like the beautiful silk scarves, cards and necklaces included in her inventory. When initially browsing the listings I was quite fascinated that she plant steams her products to create the prints, and more so by the colorings that could be achieved doing it this way. She shows her experience and talents in this field throughout her store, which is further impressed by her completion of a degree in fashion marketing. This lady really knows her stuff! She is taking part in a craft show at 12pm on the 5th September at The Cluny Craft Market at The Cluny, Ouseburn (under Byker-Bridge) Newcastle upon Tyne, for those UK handmade lovers that may wish to visit her there, yet those of you everywhere else please take the time to visit her store. Scroll down to read her interview!



(Just click the images to go direct to the listings)




-- Tell me a bit about you! (Name, Age, Location, and give us a random fact whilst you're at it.) My name is Natalie, i’m nearing my 29th year, and i’m originally from a picture postcard town called Whitby and I now live in Newcastle upon Tyne with my other half and cat. Oh, and I used to be a florist, which is why i’m so happy to be using natural sources again!


-- What is your business about then? Lissi Naturally Dyed Products designs beautiful fashion accessories created from dying fabrics with natural plant and vegetable based dyes and recycled objects, ensuring that no two pieces are the same - each bundle and dye bath bring a new original colour, print or pattern.


-- How did Etsy come into your life? I had been searching for online outlets and came across Etsy last year. I signed up straight away but it took me nearly six months to start listing my items for sale and networking with it! Then we recently moved house so I am again getting back in to the swing of things.


-- Are you working a day job too? Yes. I graduated last year with a degree in fashion marketing where I produced a branded collection of naturally dyed clothing (the roots of Lissi Naturally Dyed Products!), and was lucky enough to find a job that is just ten minutes drive from my house. By day I am a merchandiser for a menswear importer, which can be very demanding and tiring, and sometimes I really wish I could stay home and be creative all day!


-- How long has the artist in you been 'unleashed' for? I’ve always had something creative going on in my life. I left school at sixteen and became a florist where I stayed for over six years until I returned to education full time. I never dreamed that I would ever gain an A-Level never mind go to university! So when I graduated I had to keep my creative side busy, which is when I decided to make something from the work I had just devoted a whole year to, thoroughly enjoyed and wanted to know more about; natural dyes.


-- What has been the inspiration behind your business? I studied a fashion course but have always known there are issues that should be highlighted. I want to help promote alternative design aspects and Lissi does this by only using natural plant or vegetable based dyes along with recycled objects such as metals, showing that colour can be produced without the aid of toxic chemicals which are sometimes apparent in our everyday stores. I discovered an Australian textile artist called India Flint who has worked for many years with natural dyes, and started experimenting with ideas from her book ‘Eco Colour’, and then kept going.


-- If you could describe your products in three words, what would you tell me? Naturally Dyed Products ! Sorry!


-- What would an average working day for you be like from dawn til dusk? Through the week I would be working 9-5, and try to check all my online sites on my lunchtime. When I get home I try and spend an hour or two online networking, uploading new products, writing blog posts etc. I usually try and dye on weekends when I have full days to really get stuck in! Sewing and finishing items would normally be done on a weekend too, along with product photos and styling.


-- What's your favourite material and techniques to work with? I tend to have stuck with silk fabric for most projects as it is a natural fibre it absorbs and retains colour really well (all Lissi products are wash/colour fast by the way!). I really enjoy steaming processes where the flower/leaf will leave its mark directly on the fabric, and I have recently started experimenting with dyeing yarns. To be honest I can’t pick a favourite!


-- What is your ideal vision for the future for you and your work? I really would like to be able to work on Lissi full time, there is still so much I want to learn and experiment with!


-- Away from work, what do you like to do for fun or to wind down? I love pottering in the garden and making things look pretty, as well as bike riding and spending time with friends and family. My other half says i don’t relax enough...


-- What are you likely to search for on Etsy? I tend to search for gifts for my mum, close family and friends. Some really appreciate handmade items and Etsy has a great choice for me to choose from; I have favourite items just waiting to be purchased!


-- Any last words? I will be holding a stall at a local market in a couple of weeks so if anyone is in the area it would be lovely to see them. It is The Cluny Craft Market at The Cluny, Ouseburn (under Byker-Bridge) Newcastle upon Tyne on Sunday 5th September from 12noon.
If you wish to know more about Lissi please visit the website here http://lissionline.jimdo.com/ and I am always updated Lissi’s blog with the latest experiments and goings on at http://lissi-natalie.blogspot.com/
And finally, Thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment