Friday, September 24, 2010

Maulani Felted Jewelry


Friday Finds... Maulani


Interview # 44
As a yarn lover I am always intrigued and inspired by all the creative things crafters can do with this medium. Knit, crocheted and felted goods are far and widely commonplace and darned cool nowadays which goes beyond the stereotype of the little old lady huddled knitting in the corner, that was always placed on yarn crafts. Now it's something that we can all aspire to do as a fun and relaxing hobby, can teach our kids without them eyeing us up as the definition of uncool, and for some it has become an artform outside of wearable garments, and even as jewelry! Dita Maulani is just one of those yarn crafters that likes to turn fibers into jewelry and makes some really great eye catching pieces that are trendy, bright and one of a kind. Not only that, but she also makes fabric jewelry and uses some great little findings for her metal pieces. Check out Dita's interview to find out more about her work and you can visit her store by clicking on any of the images or links in this post :)


(Just click the images to go direct to the listings)



-- Tell me a bit about you! (Name, Age, Location, and give us a random fact whilst you're at it.) Hello, I'm Dita Maulani from Bogor, a small city in West Java, Indonesia. I will celebrate my 23rd birthday this upcoming November 2nd and I love to sing.



-- What is your business about then? I love to craft, and I always think it's gonna be lovely to sell some of my handmade creations. Since I want to have one specialization on my Etsy shop, I chose needle felted necklace. I fall in love with needle felted instantly but still lack of technique so I decided to make necklace from felted balls.


-- How did Etsy come into your life? Found it via google and suddenly I got crush on listings on the front page then decided to make account on November 2009. But at the time I haven't done anything yet about my shop, I just made treasury and heart listings I love. I never feel enough of giving someone's shop or listing a heart. "I want to be hearted too!" my heart said. That was on August 2010. I finally opened my shop on August 5th.


-- Are you working a day job too? I'm a college graduate, will be on training for English teacher in one of English course in my city this September 20th. I'm working hard to get it as my day job (although I love crafting more than teaching English). Just wish me luck!



-- How long has the artist in you been 'unleashed' for? I don't know! Never thought I am an artist though but this past two years I never pass a day without crafting.



-- What has been the inspiration behind your business? Anything beautiful, especially needle felted creation or anything that is felted, inspires me! Seeing stunning photo of well-crafted handmade stuffs on Etsy can turn on my creative button!


-- If you could describe your products in three words, what would you tell me? Fun, bouncy, one-and-only

-- What would an average working day for you be like from dawn til dusk? 10 a.m until 4 p.m


-- What's your favourite material and techniques to work with? I love roving wool and I love needle felting technique! Still learn and way too far from perfect but I love to learn more technique.


-- What is your ideal vision for the future for you and your work? I want to stay in another country (if it's possible) to turn my craft hobby in real business. I would love to teach English in concentration camp too, or in an area where so many uneducated people live.



-- Away from work, what do you like to do for fun or to wind down? Hanging out with my boyfriend and friends is fun! Kicking back and relax at home with latte is fun too :)



-- What are you likely to search for on Etsy? Felt creation! Anything. I really love that material so anything that's made of felt, I must love it!



-- Any last words? I would love to hear from you! My Etsy shop is on sale, so make a visit if you have extra time ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment